Prospective Students' Information
Welcome to the department of Computer Science and Software Engineering. Information about us is available below, please contact us if you have further requests or enquiries.
For a general overview of Computer Science at Canterbury, see http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/subjects/cosc/
Details about courses for 2013, including Computer Science, Software Engineering, and Computer Engineering, can currently be found in the Enrolment Guide, available at http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/courses/
What Computer Science Graduates Do
For some excellent videos that show what computer science graduates really do, take a look at the University of Washington site (Canterbury is involved in a joint project with the University of Washington and other US universities sponsored by Google, to get useful information out to potential students about careers in Computer Science).
Careers in Computing
The demand for good graduates in Computer Science and Software Engineering is extraordinarily strong. Job opportunities can be found on Trademe ("Programming and development" is the most relevant category), Seek (especially "Developers/Programmers") or Careerhub (for UC students).
A new brochure is available to prepare High School students for careers in computing. It describes the major areas of study available in the field, as well as a wide range of career opportunities.
- Computer Science and Software Engineering Courses.
- COSC121 Overdrive : for students who have good grades in Programming and Computer Science in the NCEA achievement standards.
- STAR Programme : for high school students.
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Mechatronics Engineering
- Information Systems
For further information about any of our courses, please contact: email@example.com.
Scholarships and Grants
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science UC Computer Science High Achievers Award. Up to 5 scholarships worth $1000, for students who declare their major in Computer Science (and enrol in COSC 121 and COSC122) for 2016.
- Bachelor of Engineering with Honours Software Engineering students are eligible for the Engineering scholarships , as they are targeted to the Bachelor of Engineering with Honours Intermediate Year students for 2016.
- Student Orientation: Get Connected to UC, Week of Welcome.
- International Students Admission
- See the University of Washington's site for an excellent collection of
online videos showing what it's really like to be a Computer Scientist.