Frequently Asked Questions - Computer Science and Software Engineering - University of Canterbury - New Zealand

Frequently Asked Questions

The content will be generally grouped into subject areas together with a miscellaneous section for things that do not fall into any other category.

Free Software - Microsoft Imagine

  • How do I get free Microsoft software.

This is answered fully on the Microsoft Imagine help pages.

Access to CSSE Webpages

  • I can't access the course homepages.
  • I can't access course handouts.
  • I can't access the course notices.
  • I get an error 401 Authorization Required when trying to look at the pages in the teaching section of CSSE website.
    Authorization Required.
    This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

Apache Server at Port 80

With the exception of certain pages accessible to only staff members, CSSE webpages should be accessible to anyone while browsing on campus. However, when browsing from off campus many of the pages in CSSE website are restricted to students enrolled in a CSSE courses. When you attempt to access one of these pages you will be prompted for your username and password. This is the username and password you use to login to a Linux box within the CSSE department. If you forget your password you should see the duty programmer (Erskine Rm112, Extn: 8251) and provide identification, preferably your UC Card.

If you do not see the username and password prompt then ensure you have the latest version of your web browser and that you have not configured your web browser to block all pop-up windows.

  • Access Forbidden! The Page you requested is not available outside the University of Canterbury campus.

There are some pages within the CSSE web site can only be viewed while on campus or when connected to the UC network via the dial-up connection provided by ICTS. The details for general connection from offsite can be found on the ICTS web pages.

Logon failure

  • I am able to logon to computers around campus but I can't access CSSE systems and web pages.

You have changed your password on the ICTS systems, but not on CSSE systems; or your passwords are different.

There are two main authentication systems that CSSE people interact with:

  • The ICTS system, which provides access to most of the Windows and Macintosh systems on campus, printing facilities and the internet.
  • The CSSE system, which provides access to Linux computers and servers within the CSSE department.

When you enrol, the same logon details are entered into both the ICTS and CSSE authentication systems. However, after the initial setup there is no automatic synchronisation between these two systems. Therefore, if you change your password on one system, then you will have to manually change your password on the other system also (if you want your passwords to be the same). It is usually the case that the password is changed on the ICTS system, so if you have problems logging onto CSSE systems try your old password. If this fails, please go to see the duty programmer (Erskine Rm112, Extn: 8251) and provide identification, preferably your UC Card.

"Your profile cannot be loaded ..."

A message that so far has only been seen when trying to log-on to start a remote desktop session to the terminal servers. Things to check:

  • ICTS balance, is it overdrawn?


The following are links to the documents on how to use the Ricoh printers in CSSE.

Student Webpages

  • How do I get one?

You should have a directory called "public_html" in your home directory that has access rights of at least 755 (rwxr-xr-x). All the web pages should then be located within your "~/public_html" directory. Remember that you must set file permissions to read for "other".

  • How to I browse my web pages?

Student web pages have a URL of, i.e. if your user name is "arw42", your site is located at

  • Why can't people see my homepage off campus?

The student website at: is not available off campus; this is unlikely to change. If you have material, such as research work, that you believe should be available off campus, you should put the case to your supervisor. They will then to make the necessary arrangements to have the pages transferred to the main CSSE website at:, most of which is available off campus.

Transferring your files to CD/DVD

The basic steps to do this are:

  • Create a tar file of the file(s) you want on the CD/DVD.

At a shell prompt use the command

tar cvf <tar_filename.tar>

This will collect all the files in the current directory and all its subdirectories into the TAR file you specified. If you save the tar file into the "public_html" directory in your home directory you should be able to access it from anywhere on campus via a web browser.

  • Access the tar file on a machine equipped with a CD/DVD writer.
  • Write the tar file to the CD/DVD.

CD Burners: You will find that most of the computers in CSSE labs have CD burners. At the time of writing there are also CD burners provided by ICTS in The Loft, attached to Windows boxes.

DVD Burners: Only CSSE postgrads and staff currently have access to DVD burners.


  • How do I FTP files from my home computer to a university computer and visa versa?

There is limited support for this, please refer to ICTS web pages.

  • Phone: +64 3 364 2362
    Fax: +64 3 364 2569
  • Computer Science and Software Engineering
    University of Canterbury
    Private Bag 4800, Christchurch
    New Zealand
  • Follow us
    FacebookYoutubetwitterLinked In